Make A Montessori Land and Water Globe
What you need:
- A cheap globe
- blue and yellow acrylic paint
- glitter glue
- mod podge (or 50/50 water and white glue)
How To Present The Land And Water Globe
- Show the child where the globe is kept on the shelf, pick it up, modeling how to hold it and carry it to the work area.
- Tell the child “This is the land and water globe”. Use both hands to feel the globe then invite the child to do the same.
- Whilst the child is feeling the globe as the questions “Can you feel the rough area?” and “Can you feel the smooth area?”
- Using two fingers, feel the rough area and tell the child “This rough area represents the land.” Invite the child to feel it.
- Now do the same but with the smooth area and tell the child “This smooth area represents the water.” Invite the child to feel the water.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 with a different area on the globe.
- Now ask the child to show you where the land is and then where the water is.
- Once the child can answer correctly you can move to the next stage. You touch either the land or water and ask the child to tell you which area you are touching.
- Finish by saying “This is a globe of the Earth and on the globe we have both water and land.”
- Finally, ask the child to pick up the globe and return it to where it belongs on the shelf.
This activity is to introduce the vocabulary globe, water and land. It also gives the child a sensory impression of the world.
Montessori Demystified FREE Workshop
Interested in Montessori but overwhelmed and don’t know where to start?
Started but you are stuck, something isn’t quite right?
Just want to learn more about Montessori to see if it is right for you?